I've been making these wonderful Chicken and Dumplings forever it seems. I've never met a person who didn't like them. In fact, I've never made them for anyone who did not come back for seconds and thirds.
ENJOY! But of course, in moderation. CHICKEN
1 whole Chicken 6 Chicken Thighs 8 cups Water
2 Carrot, cut into slices
1/2 green Bell Pepper
1 Onion, quartered
5 cloves Garlic, crushed
2 ribs Celery, cut in half
2 Bay Leaves
1/4 dried Basil
Salt, Black Pepper,
Cayenne Pepper, to taste
Parsley for Garnish
4 cups All-purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 sticks Butter
Hot Chicken Broth
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Cooking the Chicken Dumplings:
1. Rinse the chicken inside and out as well as the thighs very well under running cold water.
2. Place the chicken, water, vegetables and seasonings in a large pot and bring to boil. (Save the slices of one carrot for adding to broth later in the cooking.)
3. Turn the heat down to very low and cook slowly for about one hour.
4. Remove the chicken and allow to cool. When cool enough, remove the meat from the bones. Cut into large pieces. Discard the bones.
5. Strain the chicken broth and return to the pot. You may discard the vegetables or puree them and return the puree to the pot. This promotes a broth that is even more rich in taste.
6. Heat the broth.
7. In a large bowl, sift 4 cups of flour once. Add the salt and mix into flour.
8. Add the butter or margarine, your preference. (No need to cut into pieces)
9. Slowly pour very hot chicken broth over the butter or margarine, one cup at a time.
10. You will need to add enough broth to the mixture until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
11. Flour your working surface generously to roll out the dough. This dough is very sticky so use as much flour as needed to insure no sticking when rolling out. The additional flour helps to thicken the broth.
12. Roll 1/4 or 1/3 of the dough at a time to about 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch thickness.
13. Cut dumplings into 2-inch squares and begin dropping the dumplings into the boiling broth.
14. After adding all of the dumplings, add the slices of carrot and reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for about 20 to 25 minutes. Add the chicken pieces back in with the dumplings. Allow the chicken to warm in the dumplings until heated through, about 5 minutes or so. Sprinkle in a little chopped parsley.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: 10 Servings Calories: 451 Carbohydrates: 23 gm Fat: 30 gm Cholesterol: 119 gm
Protein: 21 gm Iron: 2 mg Vitamin A: 4495 IU Vitamin C: 14 mg
Percentage of Calories from Fat: 61%
Percentage of Calories from Protein: 19%
Percentage of Calories from Carbohydrates: 21%