Most folks that I know love my Lemon Pie. This is really a good one and it's so easy to make.
1 1/2 cups Water
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Cornstarch
1/3 cup Water
4 Egg Yolks, beaten
1/2 Cup fresh Lemon Juice, strained
1 teaspoon Lemon Peel, grated
3 tablespoons Butter
4 Egg Whites
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/2 Cup Sugar
To make this easy, for the crust use a prepared 9" pie crust and bake it according to the instructions.
Making the Pie Filling:
1. Mix the water, sugar and salt together in a medium saucepan and stir until the sugar is almost dissolved.
2. Heat to boiling and cook until is completely dissolved and bubbling slightly.
3. Make a paste of the 1/2 cup cornstarch and 1/3 cup of water.
4. Gradually add this mixture to the boiling sugar mixture stirring constantly. Cook until mixture is very thick and clear, then remove from the heat.
5. Separate the 4 egg and reserve the whites. Beat the yolks slightly.
6. Squeeze and strain fresh lemons to make the 1/2 cup of juice. Grate lemon peel.
7. Combine the egg yolks and lemon juice. Stir into the thickened sugar mixture. Return to the heat and cook stirring constantly until the mixture bubbles again. Remove from the heat.
8. Measure out 3 tablespoons of butter and stir into the mixture along with the lemon peel.
9. Cover and allow to cool until lukewarm.
Making the Meringue:
10. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt to the egg whites and beat until frothy.
11. Add 1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar and continue to beat.
12. Begin adding 1/2 cup of sugar gradually. Beat until glossy peaks are formed.
13. Stir about 2 tablespoons of the lemon mixture into the meringue and mix very gently.
Finishing the Pie:
14. Pour the lemon filling into the cooled pie shell. Pile meringue on top and spread lightly over the filling making sure to spread it evenly to the edges of the crust.
Alternately, fill a pastry bag with the meringue and use your favorite tip to pipe the meringue atop the filling.
15. Bake at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned.
16. Cool on a rack for at least 1 hour before cutting.
THIS IS REALLY A TREAT!